On December 29th, 2012 the President of Ukraine has approved the Strategic Defense Bulletin of Ukraine. This document includes estimation of the challenges and threats to the national security of Ukraine, as well as defines the foreign policy priorities of Ukraine.
Taking into consideration the trends and conditions of the current military and political situation in the world it is unlikely that the military aggression able to bring about the local or regional war would arise in a medium-term perspective. At the same time, under some circumstances the hazard of the crisis situations potentially able to develop into the military conflict does exist.
The challenges and the threats to the national security of Ukraine for a long-term period are forecasted as following:
- territorial claims to Ukraine declared by some representatives of some political forces and movements;
- intervention into the internal affairs of Ukraine, in particular through the support of radical political forces and some groups of population, providing double citizenship, economic pressure etc.;
- uncontrolled proliferation of unconventional weapons and dual use technologies;
- existence of the "frozen" conflicts, including the ones in close vicinity with the state border of Ukraine;
- spreading cybernetic threats;
- expansion of the drug dealing, illegal weapons and nuclear materials trade, illegal migration and human traffic.
The Strategic Defense Bulletin defines the foreign policy priorities of Ukraine aimed at ensuring the national security:
- completing the legal registration of the state border of Ukraine;
- signing the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the European Union;
- continuing the constructive partnership with the NATO;
- promoting resolving the "frozen" conflicts;
- development of military-technical cooperation of Ukraine with the foreign states;
- activities aimed at ensuring stability and decreasing the tensions of the military-political situation in the world;
- participation in improving the international legal mechanisms aimed at prevention of use of military force;
- promoting a safe international environment around Ukraine;
- prevention of intervention into the internal affairs of Ukraine;
- protection of the rights and interests of the citizens and juridical persons of Ukraine abroad;
- development of mutually beneficial and good neighborly relations with the adjacent states with Ukraine;
- enhancing active cooperation in the security field with the USA and Canada, EU member states and the world leading countries;
- participation in the activities aimed at supporting international peace and security, preventing conflicts and settling the crisis situations.