After the tragic force conflicts in Kyiv led to death and injury of citizens of Ukraine, as a result of negotiations of the President of Ukraine Victor Yanukovych, leader of the opposition faction "Batkivshchyna" Arseniy Yatsenyuk, leader of the "UDAR" party Vitaliy Klitschko and leader of the All-Ukrainian Union "Svoboda" Oleh Tyagnybok, representatives of the European Union and Russia, the Agreement on Settlement of the Crisis in Ukraine was signed on February 21, 2014 in Kyiv, which provides:
- Within 48 hours of the signing of this agreement, a special law will be adopted, signed and promulgated, which will restore the Constitution of 2004 including amendments passed until now. Signatories declare their intention to create a coalition and form a national unity government within 10 days thereafter.
- Constitutional reform, balancing the powers of the President, the government and parliament, will start immediately and be completed in September 2014.
- Presidential elections will be held as soon as the new Constitution is adopted but no later than December 2014. New electoral laws will be passed and a new Central Election Commission will be formed on the basis of proportionality and in accordance with the OSCE & Venice commission rules.
- Investigation into recent acts of violence will be conducted under joint monitoring from the authorities, the opposition and the Council of Europe.
- The authorities will not impose a state of emergency.
- The authorities and the opposition will refrain from the use of violence.
- The Parliament will adopt the 3rd amnesty, covering the same range of illegal actions as the 17th February 2014 law.
- Both parties will undertake serious efforts for the normalisation of life in the cities and villages by withdrawing from administrative and public buildings and unblocking streets, city parks and squares.
- Illegal weapons should be handed over to the Ministry of Interior bodies within 24 hours of the special law, referred to in point 1 hereof, coming into force. After the aforementioned period, all cases of illegal carrying and storage of weapons will fall under the law of Ukraine.
- The forces of authorities and of the opposition will step back from confrontational posture.
- The Government will use law enforcement forces exclusively for the physical protection of public buildings.
The foreign ministers of Germany and Poland, Frank -Walter Steinmeier and Radoslaw Sikorski, the Head of the Department of continental Europe, the French Foreign Ministry Eric Fournier witnessed the signing of the agreement.