As a result of unilateral arbitrary actions of the Russian Federation on February 21 2014 the Ukraine-Russia accords laid down in the agreements on the Black See Fleet were violated.
These agreements were:
• The Agreement between Ukraine and the Russian Federation on the Status and Terms of the Deployment of the Black See Fleet in the Territory of Ukraine of May 27, 1997:
- Paragraph 1, Article 6 on the commitments of the military units to exercise their activities in the areas where they are stationed in accordance with the laws of the Russian Federation and respect the sovereignty of Ukraine, abide by its legislation and to refrain from interfering in the internal affairs of Ukraine;
- Paragraph 2, Article 8 on military maneuvers and other types of combat and operations training within the boundaries of training centers, training fields, positioning and deployment areas, firing ranges and air zones agreed with respective authorities of Ukraine, except for the excluded air zones;
- Paragraph 4, Article 8 on the implementation of measures for the protection of places of stationing and during the movement in the cooperation with competent states bodies of Ukraine.
- Paragraph 1, Article 15 on the observance of border, customs and other types of state control by the military units of the Russian Federation Black Sea Fleet during the crossing of Ukrainian-Russian border;
- Paragraph 1, Article 12 on the obligation to maintain the registration number and clear indication on the service vehicles of the Russian Federation Black Sea Fleet;
- Paragraph 5, Article 15 on the possibilities of movement related with the activity of military units beyond the places of stationing only after the consent of competent state bodies of Ukraine.
• The Agreement between Ukraine and the Russian Federation on the Parameters of Division of the Black Sea Fleet of May 28, 1997:
- Paragraph 1 of Article 1: gives permission to the Russian Federation to have no more than 132 combat vehicles attached to the Russian Federation Black Sea Fleet;
Paragraph 3 of Article 7: gives permission to the Russian Federation to have no more than 1987 marines and air force personnel combined attached to the Russian Federation Black Sea Fleet;
• Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on granting permission to the forces and resources of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation to operate within national airspace of Ukraine and Black Sea airspace, where the responsibility for safety and coordination of air traffic is entrusted on Ukraine of July 16, 1999:
- Article 2: that allows the forces of the Russian Federation Black Sea Fleet to conduct military exercises and combat tests of the anti-aircraft alert forces of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation only after receiving approval from the Central Command of Armed Forces of Ukraine and only in accordance with the rules and regulations set up by the Ukrainian Airspace Management and Planning Centre (UKRAEROCENTER).
Moreover, provisions of the Treaty on Friendship, Cooperation and Partnership between Ukraine and the Russian Federation were violated as a result of the military deployment of forces and means of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, including military units of the Russian Federation Black Sea Fleet, which are temporarily stationed in Ukraine on the territory of Ukraine, as well as by mass deployment of military transport aviation aircrafts from the territory of the Russian Federation.
In particular, such violation refers to the Article 3 of the Treaty, "On a relationship with each other under the principles of mutual respect for sovereign equality, territorial integrity, inviolability of borders, peaceful settlement of disputes, non-use or threat of force, including economic and other means of pressure, the right of peoples to freely dispose of their fate, non-interference in internal affairs as well as to the Article 6 "On refraining from any action taken against the other contracting Party".